If you have ever been in an accident, hopefully you knew what to do first! Because the fear that drivers feel can turn into anger and frustration, they may make some judgment errors immediately following an accident. If you can retain a calm reaction to an accident your chance of additional worry and expense will be greatly reduced.
The last thing you should be thinking about is what kind of auto body collision repair is going to be required to get your car serviceable again. Eventually, after the more immediate matters are taken care of, you will want to look for professional collision repair to get your vehicle safely back on the road again, if at all possible.
In the meantime, here are a few tips on how to help you stay calm:
• Move your vehicle to a safe place (unless your local statute requires it be left as is), then identify yourself to the other driver. If your vehicle can’t be moved, turn on the hazard lights. Call for medical help. Notify the police–tell them who you are, where you are, and explain any obvious or claimed injuries.
• Exchange information with the other driver. Get the driver’s name, driver’s license number, address, telephone number and name of insurance company. Also, write down the names and contact information of any passengers and witnesses.
• Police report. If there are injuries or extensive damage, the police should file a report. Ask for a copy.
• Avoid discussions at the scene about who is responsible. If the other driver admits responsibility, offers a money settlement and you accept, any future claim may be compromised. Later, you or the other driver may find damage and bodily injury not apparent at first.
• Write down a complete description of the accident as soon as possible. Include weather conditions, estimated speeds, and as much precise information as you can observe. Take photographs—your cell phone comes in handy.
• Find a Collision Repair Facility. You can now get your vehicle to an auto body collision repair shop. Many shops offer free towing.
• Notify your insurance company. Regardless of fault, notify your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. In some states, failure to do so could result in the revoking of your license.
Looking for quality auto body collision repair? Contact our certified technicians at American Auto Body, or go online to http://americanautobody.us/ for more information about collision repair. Free towing is available is needed. Our auto body shop serves vehicle owners in Las Vegas, NV, and the surrounding communities.